Saturday, August 14, 2010

Better Scrap - The Photoless Layout Challenge


Better Living Through Scrapbooking Challenge 3

Today is the exciting reveal of Challenge #3 and the Designer inspirations pieces at the Better Living Through Scrapbooking challenge blog.   Which means it is also time for you to put your creative thinking hats on and get ready for some scrapping.  This week's challenge is going to be great fun, especially if YOU participate too.  And heck, even if you don't decide to play along with us this week (but ummm, you will, right?) I still hop on over to Better Scrap and check what the Designer did this week.


Create a layout about a happy memory or event in your life that you have no photos of. This could be a childhood memory, an event that did not allow cameras, or perhaps you just forgot to take pictures that day!

Choose at least 2 of the following:

1. Use memorabilia in lieu of photos. If you have a map, brochure, flyer, receipts, or other paperwork from that day or event, use them on the layout.

2. Create your own photos of the memory or event. Take photos of favorite souvenirs from the day or event. Use your kids or grandkids, pets, or even dolls or stuffed animals to recreate a photo to represent the memory.

3. Use your favorite die-cut machine to create your page title.

4. Use at least two metallic elements on the layout.

5. Distress some element of your page – fray, tear, or crumple paper, or use distress ink or other distressing techniques on your page.

To create this layout I selected items, 2., Create your own photos of the memory or event, 4., Use at least two metallic elements, and 5., Distress some element of your page.
As far as I am concerned a very important chapter in my life started when I met my friend Sandi for the first time back in October 1998. At the time, I had no idea just how important Sandi would be in my life so naturally I didn’t think to snap a photograph of our meeting nor do I have memorabillia from this event either. Instead I decided to photograph Sandi today to document the event from almost 12 years ago.


If you look closely at the layout you will notice that I used the circular part of a metal stick pen to highlight the “10″ on the mettallic time piece, to signify that we met in October. I also used a mask and rubbed ink over the it to create a crown which I then embellished with pewter pearls. Among our friends Sandi is referred to as, “My Queen” and well, every queen needs a crown.
Supplies Used:
Patterned Paper: Thrift Shop Collection (October Afternoon), Old World Cabbage Stew (Jillibean)
Cardstock: Kraft (Bazzill), Navy (American Crafts)
Ink/Mists: Antique Linen Distress Ink
Fibers: Rustic Cream Button Twine (Papertrey Ink) Lace (Ellen Hutson)Stamps: Fancy Flourishes (Papertrey Ink)
Embellishments: Pearl Brads (American Craft Elements), Regal Mini Mask (Tim Holtz), Thickers(American Crafts), Bingo Wild Cards (October Afternoon), Vintage Button(Papertrey Ink) Idealogy Stick Pins (Tim Holtz), Outdoor Bingo Boards and Calling Cards (Tattered Angels), Clever Pretty Girl Alphabet Stickers (So Sophie), Thrift Shop Archival Rub-ons (October Afternoon), Ideology Time Piece (Tim Holtz)
Other Tools: Brackets “On the Edge” Alterations (Tim Holtz), Pewter Pearls (from stash), Tickets (Tim Holtz)

4 Scrappy Comments:

Kristina said...

What a cool challenge!

They layout turned out great! Tell Sandi I said hello!

Angi Barrs said...

Lovin' all of the beautiful elements of this layout. So cute!

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fun and sweet page, Beth, and such a great idea for a challenge. I love the papers and punched edging and kraft background. Very clever way to highlight the 10 on the clock face, too.
Hope you have a wonderful day!!

♥Jan♥ said...

I love this challenge too, how very clever. Your Sandi must be a wonderful friend to have inspired you to this beautiful page. (My bff and I have completely different remembrances of our first meeting, she claims I was on her front porch, I claim she was on mine ! Wish we had a photo...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...